Tuesday 28 February 2012

Bubble Man. Story of the family affected by the rare tumor disorder

0



A 62-year-old "bubble man" nicknamed because his body is covered with tumors has shown how people are treated worse than a "dirty animal lost."

Mohammad Omar began to grow small bumps on his hands at age 14, and since then his body has slowly been devastated by benign tumors. Now, covering his entire body.

"I am a good man," he said. "And I can work hard, but my appearance is a problem to others. No one likes to look at me or be near me. Has ruined my life."




Omar, Hyderabad, India, was born healthy. His mother had lumps in their hands, but nowhere else. Not realizing he had spent more agrressive disease. She died in 2001.

"I was born with the skin smooth and soft," he said. I didn’t realise what they were when they started growing at 14 but then my mother noticed they were the same as her hands and took me to see a doctor.'

But as the years went by Omar condition progressively worsened. By the time he was 20 random lumpy growing in many parts of your body.

He said: "I knew it would get worse. Knew it was a nightmare to come." The doctor said that could happen to her children if she married.

He said: 'The doctor said there were no guarantees but it was a possibility. I worried about it for years. I wondered whether I should ever marry.'

But then he met Omar Farhat-un-Nisa, 45, fell in love and married when he was 28. Farhat do not care about pieces of Omar at the time.

She said: "I could feel Umar was a good man. He was kind and generous. My family warned me that the future could be difficult if your skin gets worse. Even consulted a doctor in my name. But I took the risk. "

They were to have children, and thankfully as they grew, they seemed concerned. But as the years went by Farhat could only watch as her husband become engulfed in huge tumors that itch.

He added: "I felt very helpless. Doctors said there was no cure for it. What changed that was once very happy, but became very insecure and scared. We fight to live and raise our family."

Meanwhile, Omar lost his job as assistant baggage at the local train station. And no one would give him another job.

He said: 'As the lumps got bigger people stopped me carrying your luggage so my boss fired me. I tried to find another job, but people tell me to go out with a look of disgust on his face. It was humiliating. "

Umar has struggled even to rent a house. "Many owners do not want to live on their property. We had to move many times. People think it will infect all."

At the end Farhat had to get a part time job at the local school to support the family.

Umar felt useless as a man and as a husband and father to his married daughter Shama, now 25, and the children of Mohammad Hussain, 20, Mohammad Subani, 18 and Khaja, 12.

He said: "I hate my children to see me like this. My kids respect me, but what kind of father I am the one who can not support his family?

Omar has resorted to begging in the streets from time to time.

"I walk around the city and wait for people to donate," he adds. "I either people shouted at me and pushing me away or give me sympathy money. That's all I can do to help my family.

"I do not like show people, but if God made me this way, the only thing I can do to get some money."

And to make matters worse his youngest son Khaja has recently shown signs of growing lumps - the first child in the family to inherit the condition of 'Umar.

"I thought that after three children who had been blessed, I was sure it could happen and I was so relieved," he said.

"But Khaja has some small lumps that grow on your face and hands and legs and that's how I started. I'm devastated."

Dr. Chilukuri Srinivas, an oncologist, from Yashoda Hospital in Hyderabad, believes that Omar has a condition called neurofibromatosis, and no cure.

"It looks pretty obvious to me that he has a severe case of neurofibromatosis, said.

"There is no known cure for this condition. It is a very uncomfortable condition to live and I wish there was something I can do. But there is absolutely nothing you can do for him or his son.

Fortunately, Omar is not in pain, but finds discomfort unbearable.

'I sweat in the heat of summer and that makes them itch, making it difficult to sleep at night and are growing so large bumps around my eyes I can hardly see, "he said.

"I try to stay clean and presentable, and my wife helps me shave and a haircut, but not much I can do to hide these tumors, which grow and grow.

"I do not know what I would do without my wife, she is a blessing and I have the luck to have her. I love my family very much." And Farhat said he does not regret marrying Omar.

"I'm very happy, no regrets," he said. "Sometimes it's hard to remember what my husband used to look like, but he is here with me, and that's all that matters."



Mail Online

0 comments:

Post a Comment