Tuesday 20 March 2012

Builder stuck to a floorboard for four hours after slipping and firing a five-inch nail through his HAND

0



When men try a bit of DIY at home, can often go disastrously wrong.

But it rarely ends up as badly as it did for the builder Alan Williams.

The 46-year-old was at home in Market Drayton, Shropshire, when he slipped on the top of the stairs and accidentally shot a five-inch nail through his left hand.

Mr. Williams was driven into the ground for nearly four hours unable to move or ask for help.

It was only when his partner and staff nurse Susan Amos came home from work at about 11 was found - shaking and in shock.

Ms. Amos had been waiting for a cup of tea and dinner after finishing his shift, but was found by dialing 999 for help.

Mr. Williams said, "I slipped on the top of the stairs and put my left hand down, and then the nail gun in the right hand was upon him - bang.

"I was stuck in the ground, I could not move, but really there was not much blood and I was not in pain.

"After three hours, although my leg was getting numb and I was very cold, I was grateful when Susan walked in the door."






As these pictures, high power bolt had gone right through the hand of Mr. Williams, but incredibly missed the vital tendons and veins.

Firefighters had to lift the entire floor to take it to City General Hospital in Newcastle-Under-Lyme.

After only one hour in the theater, Mr. Williams was released from the nail.

He said: "The fire chief said he had not seen anything like it in 40 years, which once had to go to the hospital with a floorboard attached to the hand.

"When I arrived at the hospital, doctors were unsure whether to push or pull it out, I had to go to the theater for an hour to remove the nail.

"The doctors told me I was very lucky that he had not touched a nerve or circulatory system.

Ms. Amos - that supports the DIY to the couple's home was his idea - said: "He was very cold when I got home I usually have my dinner and a cup of tea ready for me and I was ahead of back than usual because "d been dealing with an emergency at work.

"When I saw Alan knew there was something I could deal with that marked 999.

"In the ambulance told them to go to my hospital, City General, which just opened a new and evaluation, and when we got there they were fantastic.

"I work in the unit of elderly care in the hospital and did not expect a visit to A & E that fast.

"Alan is a builder and obviously has had a rib of his comrades of the whole thing but I'm glad you are home in one piece.

Mark Smith, director of equipment in Market Drayton fire station, said it took about 20 minutes to release Mr. Williams, of the stairs.

He said: "Alan was doing some DIY work early in the evening and was home alone when it happened he could not reach his mobile phone.

"It was a five-inch nail so it was completely trapped at the top of the stairs.

"There was no way the nail can be removed so the only way to do this was by removing the upper stage, which was still attached to him when he was blindfolded and went to the hospital."

Incredibly, through the work of doctors, Mr. Williams will have the full use of the hand of vital importance for the work




Mail Online

0 comments:

Post a Comment