Sunday 6 May 2012

Brave recovery of Bangladeshi woman whose husband chopped off her fingers

0


Ms. Akther, 21, had lost all hopes to write again after her fingers were cut off, allegedly by her husband, because she began attending a college without permission.

Doctors at the Center for Rehabilitation of the Paralysed (CRP) in Dhaka, carried out a series of surgeries in the hand of Ms. Akther, which involved the creation of a splint between the thumb and wrist so that it can sustain a pencil or pen.

"The fact that I can write again has given me hope and confidence. I have slowly begun to practice. I will continue my studies and achieve my goal of becoming a lawyer," said Ms. Akther while sitting in their parents, one bedroom house in the city of Narsingdi.

Ms. Akther just finished sitting their exams. She still is not able to write independently. She teaches her sister answers and write them. The university has given an additional 20 minutes for this.





She said her husband, Rafiqul Islam, attacked shortly after paying a surprise visit from his work in the United Arab Emirates in December.

When she met at the home of a relative, said that she was blindfolded, her mouth with tape and cut off her fingers with a butcher knife. The fingers could not be together again as they were recovered late from a garbage can.

Ms. Akther said her husband, who is well educated, did not agree to her registration at a local college.

Mr. Islam is in custody.

Although domestic violence is rife in Bangladesh, the brutality of this particular incident shocked the nation and there was an outpouring of sympathy for Ms. Akther.

When I met her shortly after the attack, appeared shocked and traumatized and broke down several times to explain what happened. At that time, she said, had begun to practice writing with her left hand.

Months later, she is confident and chats without any doubt as at flow of visitors to her home.

Her right hand injuries have been healed, but no fingers beyond the knuckles and only half the   thumb.




The female definitely has not notched her decision to continue with her studies. She shows that by writing a few sentences with a pencil.

"All those horrible things happened to me because I wanted to study. So, I will pursue my education. Doctors say I cannot write [in] my exam for three hours at a stretch. So, I need a writer for the exam. But I will continue practising with my right hand,"she said.

Her willingness to meet this goal has come to an urge to break the rules at home.

"I had to register and pay exam fees three days after my fingers were cut off. So, my parents told me not to sit for them this year," she said.

"But I didn't want to miss it. So I took money from my mother's handbag without her knowledge and paid my fee,"  she said with a chuckle.

Ms. Akther also said she wanted to return to the family of her husband again and ask for a divorce "once everything is resolved."

Her family is gradually coming to grips with the situation. They said that despite promises of support from various sectors, which has not received much financial assistance for medical expenses Ms. Akther.

""We want her to get educated so that she can be self-reliant. We will do whatever we can do to fulfil her dreams. I think my daughter will be an example to everyone,"  said Musammat Parveen's mother, Mrs. Akther.

"We need to make sure that no girl goes through this kind of suffering."

Women's rights activists at the point of Bangladesh indicates that the brutal attack on Mrs Akther is part of a growing trend of violence against educated women.

In June last year, a university professor lost his sight in an attack allegedly carried out by her husband. She said it happened because he was jealous of her achievements.

He denied the allegations but could not be tried because he died in prison before the case went to court.

The 2011 Report on Human Rights points ODHIKAR organization points out that violence against women is increasing in the country.

He said more than 300 women may have died in violence related to dowry last year. In addition, dozens of women killed in the attacks of rape and acid.

"Domestic violence happens in all sections of the society and it is increasing. But very few women come forward to report these abuses because of the social stigma,"  said spokesman Fahmina Odhikar Taskin.

Ms Akther's attempts to talk about this openly are a positive sign. The awareness is increasing, but the law should be implemented properly to punish those found guilty. That will send out a clear message to others."

The stoicism of women like Ms. Akther shows the old argument that education plays a vital role in creating greater awareness of the scourge of domestic violence.

"I think women should get an education like men. Once they are educated, they don't have to rely on others," she asserts.





BBC

0 comments:

Post a Comment